Friday, July 24, 2009

WHooooooooooooshhhh

so I have no idea where to start.... Since the first message I have done many things and experienced much, and my schedule has given me little time to write about them. Since I wrote last I have gone on wilderness walks, seen wales, ate street food and didn´t get sick, made many new friends, had a bonfire on the beach, kissed on the cheek many times, danced alot, refused many cervezas, made contact with Baha´is in portoviejo, riden many rides at the fair, been set up on dates (i didnt know they were until everyone left, quite awkward), taught alot of english, learned alot of spanish.
In this message I will focus on one very special. driving a scooter in ecuador.

I unfortunately cannot remember the date, it could have been last monday, after my first day of teaching in the office of the mayor. I walked down the steps of the municipio to my contact´s office. Inside we had a conversation about my time here in ecuador and what I had planned to do. Near the end of the conversation I mentioned that it would be very cool to drive a car or a motorcycle in ecuador. Just then another man, Paul, walked in. He ownes a scooter. After some minutes of discussion, some of which I didn´t understand fully Paul led me outside to his scooter where he poceeded to teach me how to turn it on and start, after one circle around the main square with me on the back, he hopped off and told me to try. I was so excited and stunned that this was actually happening! I went around the square slowly then a little faster, making sure to avoid the gigantic potholes all over the road. I got back around thinking that this was it, and then I was going to take the bus back to Visqije. But apparently not and to my surprise and immense pleasure Paul hopped on behind me and said "Vamos a Visqije!". YES. I drove the twenty minutes back to my house in the country with the wind blowing through my short blonde locks, with a irremovable goofy smile on my face. As we passed various persons along the side of the road their heads turned no doubt in awe of this white blur and yet mystified why anyone would ever trust this gringo with their moto. I was in heaven. the greenery never looked so green, the road never looked so wide, the wind never felt so fresh and cool, and even the slight drizzle that covered a few spots on my glasses felt like mana from heaven. I gunned the moto getting up to nearly 70 along this empty country road, dodging pot holes and cows with an expertise only gained by playing cruisin USA as a child in the lobby of wallmarts and bowling alleys. Needless to say we arrived at our destination unscathed and atleast I was exillerated. I jumped off with a "que chevere, Gracias!"

It was the first time driving a scooter, and driving in south america. However, it would not be the last. but that story is for another time ;) There may be no more peaceful feeling than driving a scooter through lush vegetation while the wind blocks out all knowledge of humanity.

Ciao,
Profe

1 comment:

  1. i also successfully ate street food in both mexico and honduras without getting sick. i got horribly sick in honduras from eating at pizza hut. go figure.

    glad you're having such a great time!! :)

    ReplyDelete